Contact The 1899 Inn

Ready to make a reservation? Visit our booking page and you can stake your claim to a room at one of Deadwood's most historic inns lickety-split. 

Just want to ask a question or send the innkeepers a note? Fill out the form here and we'll get right on it.  

Need to talk to someone right now? Call 864-210-1899. 

21 Lincoln Ave
Deadwood, SD, 57732
United States

864-210-1899

An intimate bed and breakfast in Deadwood's historic Presidential District. 

20160620_142905.jpg

Maid's Room

The Maid's Room is a small guestroom on the second floor with antique furniture and a large bathroom.

ROOM AT-A-GLANCE

  • Bed: one queen, traditional pillow-top mattress
  • Internet-connected TV with Netflix & cable
  • Antique walnut-and-marble furnishings
  • On the second floor, up one flight of stairs
  • Vintage door-locking mechanism
  • Limited soundproofing
  • Bathroom accessed through the hall - could be shared
  • Large vintage cast-iron clawfoot tub
  • Heated mosaic tile floor

Summary: Small queen room on the second floor with antique walnut-and-marble furniture and a few vintage books. The bathroom isn’t en suite – access is through the hall – and it may be shared with other guests during particularly busy times. However, it's quite large, with a heated tile floor, vintage fixtures, exposed brick chimney, and laundry machines that can be used by guests on request. 

Features: Our smallest guest room, the Maid’s Room has a queen bed, two marble-topped bedside tables, and a large tiered dresser with mirror from the 1880s. There’s a small internet-connected HDTV with access to Netflix and basic cable networks. There are a few early- and mid-20th-century books between industrial-style crank bookends, and an Edison bulb lamp under a glass cloche. The room has the home’s original fir floors and trim. Although the dresser has plenty of available drawers, there's no wardrobe for hanging clothes. The bathroom one door down isn't connected directly to the bedroom and must be accessed through the hallway. It’s large – nearly 95 sq ft/9 sq m – and has a huge clawfoot tub with shower, original 19th-century porcelain sink, oversize toilet, exposed brick chimney, reproduction light fixtures, heated tile floor, and clothes washer and dryer. The trim and window in the bathroom are currently under restoration. Because bathroom access is through the hall, soundproofing on the second floor is minimal, and the fact that the bathroom may be shared with other guests during busy periods, the Maid’s Room is perhaps our least private guest room. However, it usually has our lowest nightly rate.

Groups: The Maid’s Room can be paired with the Nursery Room across the hall to create a two-room suite suitable for four or five guests. The Nursery is a queen room with pine furniture, a seating area, large television with Roku, and three large east-facing bay windows. 

Light: The windows in the Maid’s Room face east and north, and get good sunlight first thing in the morning. The sun moves to the other side of the house during the middle of the day, but sunset brings back direct light in the evening. The room overlooks a small brick courtyard on the side of the house – usually lit with bistro lights – and a grassy meadow at the back frequented by deer in the mornings and evenings. The east window has views to the uphill portion of the neighborhood. It’s possible to see the edge of Mount Moriah Cemetery, where Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok are buried. 

History: Originally conceived as a bedroom for a live-in maid or nanny, the room’s first occupant was actually a member of the household. H.B. Wardman’s first wife died shortly before he started construction on this home, but by the time it was complete he had married his second wife, Catherine. Her mother moved in to this space, and she probably helped to care for the Wardman children, who occupied the room just across the hall. It’s unknown whether a paid nanny or maid ever lived in this room, but the practice of having live-in servants didn’t survive much past the Great Depression.The bathroom one door down was the only full bathroom built into the home in 1899, and would have been shared by the entire family. The large clawfoot tub and sink are likely original to the house, while the lights and toilet are reproductions. Like the rest of the house, the bathroom would have had a fir floor. The original floor had significant damage when the innkeepers moved in, and it was replaced with the current unsealed ceramic tile floor in 2011. The pattern and color palette were based on designs from the period. While the center tiles were laid down in prefabricated sheets, the tiles in the border were laid individually by hand.