Most Deadwood hotels are right on Main Street. The 1899 Inn is a little off the beaten path, in the town's historic (and quiet) Presidential District neighborhood.
Nestled among the ponderosa pines and rocky peaks of the northern Black Hills, Deadwood is a historic community of brick-paved streets, Victorian facades and turn-of-the-century neighborhoods. The center of one of the country’s last great gold rushes, the entire community of Deadwood is designated as a National Historic Landmark. Victorian hotels and shops from the 1880s, 1890s and early 1900s line the downtown streets, while Queen Anne homes and bungalows dot the residential districts on the hillsides.
Famous for its Wild West heritage, Deadwood is probably best-known as the place where Wild Bill Hickok, the infamous gunslinger and dime-novel hero, was shot dead while playing poker at the Saloon #10. Hickok is buried in Deadwood’s Mount Moriah Cemetery (just up the street from the 1899 Inn) along with Calamity Jane, Seth Bullock, Madam Dora Dufran and other Western legends. Other sites nearby include:
The Adams House. Just a block from the 1899 Inn, the Adams House is a small mansion built in 1892 by a prominent merchant family. Preserved for more than 50 years and beautifully restored, the home is now operated as a museum.
The Mickelson Trail. A 114-mile-long hiking and biking trail along the route of a historic railroad, the Mickelson Trail begins in Deadwood and stretches the entire length of the Black Hills.
Mount Roosevelt. A short hike to the top of a peak that has views into Wyoming and North Dakota. The summit is crowned with a stone tower erected in 1917 as one of the first memorials to Theodore Roosevelt.
The Adams & Days of ’76 Museums. The oldest history museum in the Black Hills, the Adams Museum is a five-minute walk from the 1899 Inn and includes artifacts from Deadwood’s early history, including gold mining artifacts, fossils and art. The Days of ’76 Museum is a five-minute drive, and has rare Native American artifacts, rodeo exhibits and a large collection of historic firearms in a large new building